This is a very summery sandwich to me. Its bright, light, refreshing and surprisingly delicious!
I personally love beets! Most people around me in my life don’t care for them too much (I’m pretty sure they are just scared), but I cannot get enough of that delicious beautiful veg. Not only are they yummy but they are slam packed with nutrients, antioxidants, electrolytes and dietary nitrates.
They also have a long list of health benefits, some including:
- Improve energy and stamina (because we all need more energy!)
- Support heart health
- Maintaining healthy blood pressure
- Promoting circulation and a healthy cardiovascular system
- Help reduce inflammation
So, beets are pretty much nature’s perfect food. Not to mention they are beyond beautiful! I happen to LOVE drawing, doodling, and painting beets! I think it’s just the rich complementary colors that make them so stunning and fun to illustrate.
Left uncooked, beets are not only crunchy and refreshing but also surprisingly substantial, making a satisfying base for this sandwich. The sprouts are a bitter counterpoint, the grapefruit is sweet and juicy and the avocado adds the much needed element of richness.
This sandwich is filled with all the goods!
For this recipe I used the bread that I had on hand, which happens to be the kind of bread I pretty much always have. Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain breads, I tend to buy the sesame, but I will switch it up sometimes. For this sandwich I used the sesame bread and I toasted it – giving the sandwich a bit more texture.
The sandwich is very easy to assemble, and you may get your hands a bit dirty preparing the beets. But hey! food is supposed to be fun, so don’t be afraid to get a little dirty.
- 2 medium beets, peeled and julienned
- 1 tablespoon plus a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, thinly sliced and scooped.
- 8 slices of your bread of choice
- 1 cup loosely packed sprouts
- In a bowl, toss the beets in 1 tablespoon of the oil, the lemon juice, ,1 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper to taste and set aside until ready to use.
- Cut the grapefruit into supremes.
- Toast the bread if you wish.
- Evenly layer the avocado slices on 4 slices of the bread. Drizzle some oil on the avocado and season with salt and pepper. Top with the grapefruit, beets, and sprouts. Place the remaining 4 slices on top, cut if you wish and serve.